Author Topic: Windsurfing is making an SUP comeback  (Read 1592 times)

Michelle

• View Profile
Windsurfing is making an SUP comeback
« on: September 06, 2015, 08:53:56 PM »
Clarke (who's not a member, but is thinking of kiting and might join now that we are kite and SUP friendly), Randy, Chris, and myself all went SUPing at Frisco pier today in east wind conditions (~5-10 mph).  Not enough to kite, but enough to make SUPing choppy.  Clarke, the surfing pro still managed to get a few good rides while Chris, Randy and I had fun...with a lucky ride or two, but the coolest thing was the 3 SUPing windsurfers who were getting the best rides and making it all look easy.  I talked to them on the water and after the fact...they said the helitacks in chop were easy...I disagreed, but am definitely motivated to bring a sail for my SUP next time I'm out here.

Randy

• View Profile
    • Picasa Photos
Re: Windsurfing is making an SUP comeback
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 08:56:59 PM »
I left my sails back in Avon, was wished I had brought one. Fun riding the waves on the SUP, but with the breeze it would have been much better with a sail

Doug I.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 02:43:46 PM »
This is a really interesting idea, but it seems like multiple conditions need to all be in a particular range, right? - wave height, wind direction, wind strength.  What size sail would be the best choice in, say, 10 mph wind for the purpose of catching and riding waves on a SUP?

BR58

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »
This is a really interesting idea, but it seems like multiple conditions need to all be in a particular range, right? - wave height, wind direction, wind strength.  What size sail would be the best choice in, say, 10 mph wind for the purpose of catching and riding waves on a SUP?

Doug,

You are correct, sup sailing in the right conditions makes all the difference. 

When first getting into the waves, choose a day with waves waist high or less, side to side off wind about 10-15, and go out at or soon after low tide. 

This wind direction will get you out and back like a conveyor belt.  Also low tide will minimize the shore break.   Getting past the shore break is sometimes the hardest part, but there are strategies.

I think you'll find in the right conditions you will really enjoy it.

Often in Hatteras during a North or Northeast wind these conditions can be found on the south side - frisco pier, bathhouse, ramp 49, etc.

In SW winds, check along the east side.   

Doug I.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »
I sailed in ocean waves today for the first time (not totally true... but the actual first time 25+ years ago doesn't count).  At Breach Inlet between Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island.  The wind was 10-14 mph, side to slightly side-off.  6.5 cambered on 149 liter.  I caught some waves that were 3+ ft.  Very enjoyable.  I wouldn't want any less wind though.  When there's not enough wind to water start, uphauling in waves is a challenge.

ernie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 12:27:40 PM »
I sailed in ocean waves today for the first time (not totally true... but the actual first time 25+ years ago doesn't count).  At Breach Inlet between Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island. 

I've sailed there many times, recently and 25+ years ago. Did you sail between the sand bars? 8)

BR58

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 08:15:46 PM »
I sailed in ocean waves today for the first time . . .  I caught some waves that were 3+ ft.  Very enjoyable. 

Nice.  Glad you got out there and caught some fun waves.