Author Topic: RBS Hype (Not Drinkin the Kool (Kook?) - Aid Department)  (Read 1387 times)

BR58

• View Profile
RBS Hype (Not Drinkin the Kool (Kook?) - Aid Department)
« on: October 26, 2012, 07:35:32 AM »
Re:  red bullsh*t storm chaser hype

No question some would go out in these conditions, not knocking the sailors but  red bs (RBS) management.

What gets me is all the hype about extremeness in order to sell sugar water.  I mean, mix a coke and some coffee and you have RBS.

I'm questioning the whole concept of this runaway train, a little reality check if you will  - you have a corporate marketing department enticing these guys with big advertising dollars and extreme hype to do something in my opinion that is pretty stupid.  How much fun is it to go out in 55 mph winds in victory at sea conditions?

People risking their lives to sell sugar water.  I mean what is the grand purpose here?  To help mankind - no.  To promote windsurfing - no.  To sell a worthless product - yes.

Again, I will be very surprised if they complete any, much less three events by 30 November.

I'm calling bullshit on this whole concept.  They could have a 10 month waiting period and never hold an event - uh mission, yet get all this advertising which is all they really want.

If they were serious, they could have easily made it to Hatteras.  It has been obvious all week that Sunday is going to be the big day and they had plenty of time if they were really serious about this.  They supposedly had everything scoped out and were ready to pounce on any of 7 locations within about 4 days.

How convenient that they get all this attention yet don't even have to put on an event.

Personally I'm glad they are not bringing their RBSh*t to Hatteras, we don't need it.

Hatteras speaks for itself.

Let's keep it real. :)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:00:52 AM by BR58 »

DH

• View Profile
Re: RBS Hype
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:15:51 AM »
Ironically,the only reason I knew about this is b/c of the attention you brought to it.   :D
Also, Hatteras is not as widely known as you think.  If it weren't for people like Andy M, Bill B and Dana M bringing attention to it thru the industry mags,  it still wouldn't be attracting any major pro events, just like it hasn't for 25+ years before now.  Although Robby Naish HAS made it out a couple of times for small events...once in 2008.
Just my humble opinion.

scrutton

• View Profile
Re: RBS Hype (Not Drinkin the Kook Aid department)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 08:33:23 AM »
Sells video's I guess. I bought the first one.

I have to say, we've all known about the epic conditions forecast like what for about 3 days now.
How long does it take to get the pro's in one place? They could have done it; I suspect. I mean how much more notice do you get normally before great OBX conditions - this is as much as you'd normally get.

wind_whiner

• View Profile
Re: RBS Hype (Not Drinkin the Kook Aid department)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:48:01 PM »
Sells video's I guess. I bought the first one.

I have to say, we've all known about the epic conditions forecast like what for about 3 days now.
How long does it take to get the pro's in one place? They could have done it; I suspect. I mean how much more notice do you get normally before great OBX conditions - this is as much as you'd normally get.

I bought that video too.  A bit disappointing.  But you do get to see how such an event
can be organized.  It's pretty much minute by minute as the organizers and participants
follow the course of the storm.  Sometimes they show up at a predicted launch only to
find the predicted high winds didn't occur.

Windsurfing is a sport that can't be too picky about its sponsors--there are already so few of them.
As far as image goes, I don't (we don't?) know what Red Bull's image is in the rest of the
windsurfing world.  And what is Gatorade but "sugar water" (as my German friend points out)?
(But I like it, the orange flavor at least.)

How low would we go?  Skoal-sponsored events?  Cigarette-sponsored?
Anyone remember the Pusser's Rum events?  Alcohol is probably OK.

Just random thoughts while listening to Nora Jane Struthers.

w.w. 

BR58

• View Profile
Re: RBS Hype (Not Drinkin the Kool (Kook?) - Aid Department)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 01:25:50 PM »
Hey don't worry.  These very very serious guys from RBSh*t are now desperately and urgently trying to achieve a hard on for the Boston area. :)

Don't anybody launch prematurely. :P

I don't think the Coast Guard is going to be very serious about rescuing these fools.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:31:16 PM by BR58 »

sandman_us07

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »
How low would we go?  Skoal-sponsored events?  Cigarette-sponsored?
Anyone remember the Pusser's Rum events?  Alcohol is probably OK.

Back in the day TBC would run a Jordan Lake Double Cross. I always thought it would be great if Dos Equis would sponsor it.

BR58

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 02:51:08 PM »
This just in, absolutely totally shocking, the RBsh*t management team has lost their erect*** again after teasing everyone about having an event near Boston.

This is a huge disappointment for the BS community and we can only hope that they can grow another pair real soon.

"We won't exploit it for our purpose while it's bringing devastation."  How ironic.

But they will exploit every sport on the planet for their sugar water promotion.

What a total crock. 

$10,000 bucks they continue this charade without ever holding an event, uh, excuse me, mission.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:02:31 PM by BR58 »

Erik S.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »
All the RedBull Hate.....someone hasn't drank their Monster yet today ;)  BR58, we're doing 5-hour pink lemonaide shots at the lake on Sun!

I don't have a strong opinion about this one, but I do wonder about the suddenly social consciense RB.  It's well known that big storms can have negative effects; I don't think windsurfing in a storm lessens the negative.  If they wanted to have an event in a storm that was destructive to others, then donate some proceeds to victims.  Win-win.

DH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 05:44:48 PM »
Please no more nasty visuals with the language.  Geez!!!   I dont ever want this forum to turn in to so many others that are out there.  TMTB for instance. 

Charles L.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 08:46:05 AM »
I dont ever want this forum to turn in to so many others that are out there.  TMTB for instance.

Amen to that.  I can't even read the TMTB site any more.

And whether you like Red Bull or not (I've never tasted it),  I appreciate anyone who sponsors windsurfing events.

wind_whiner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »
All the RedBull Hate.....someone hasn't drank their Monster yet today ;)   ...

The NYT reported on Saturday that there have been reports of
several deaths supposedly caused by/related to ingestion of Monster
Beverage.  But "supplements" like Monster are not under the control
of the F. D. A.  Some of the fatalities involved younger people,
but I don't know much more than that.  I don't plan to drink
Monster myself.  A well-made espresso is about all the caffein
I need.

w.w.

BenS.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 06:20:42 PM »
As a military aviator I am forbidden by the flight surgeon from drinking energy drinks 12 hours prior to a flight.