Author Topic: Weekend Starting Friday July 14, 2017  (Read 165 times)

BR58

• View Profile
Weekend Starting Friday July 14, 2017
« on: July 11, 2017, 07:03:41 AM »
It looks like it could be 6 weekends in a row.  Friday and Saturday forecast looks promising.

BR58

• View Profile
Re: Weekend Starting Friday July 14, 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »
I plan to sail at Canadian Hole Friday and Saturday.  Where are others going?

Awesome bluesman Mojo Collings will be playing at Turners High Moon Bar Friday night (9 pm until).  If you're in town don't miss it.

Jeff A

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 07:42:08 AM »
Today looks like the sure thing, tomorrow more of a gamble.  The weather maps just not looking very good tomorrow but the models seem to still show wind. Southern areas should be best off as cold front approaching from the NNW, so storms may arrive sooner to the north.

Jeff A

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »
Interesting day yesterday weatherize.  Report from Hatteras was good SW wind until about 5 pm when storm came through. I went to Cape Lookout and we had clear intense sunny skies in the morning with wind around 15 knots that increased to around 20 knots at 2 pm.  So in this case, the more bullish models on iWindsurf (NAM I think) that predicted SW were mostly correct and called it earlier than other forecasts. Earlier in the week all models were showing the front encroaching midday and wind dying, which didnt happen thanks to Bermuda high. I always trust the isobar maps but yesterday they were not showing much pressure gradient so that was a case where the models were right and weather maps were misleading (this rarely happens). The storm that hit hatteras was the cold front closing in, coming from the NNW.  It didnt hit Lookout till later, we left around 530 and didnt hit the rain until we got to Havelock so storms significantly delayed further south.

At Lookout we were sailing 5.0-5.7 sails
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:23:53 AM by Jeff A »

Kurt _)_

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 09:53:28 AM »
Awesome.  It happened just as you called it 2 posts up, Jeff.  I sailed Canadian Hole yesterday, and after noon, I was fully powered on 5.3 / 96, with 8-10 other sailors on similar rigs.  This SW 23-25 mph wind held steady until the line of thunder clouds approaching from the N got almost too close for comfort.  It was closer to 5pm at CH when we were daring to take 1 last run before the storms, and on that last run we found the wind had diminished, leaving most of us schlogging back to shore before the approaching storms.  We had all furled and headed out of the parking lot by 6pm, and I drove into the deluge just coming N out of Avon. 

Yep, I'm starting to like the NAM model for superior accuracy predicting SW winds on OBX.  The last few times I've sailed, NAM beat out GFS and NWS forecasts. 
To get it, we must want it.  To keep it, we must give it away.  To give it away, we must truly get it...
=====================
0 days WS, no police!

Jeff A

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 10:55:16 AM »
Kurt actually I called it on previous thread on July 12   :)

fmuelle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 10:58:38 AM »
sounds like fun. I'm back in town, ready to rip. Maybe next weekend. -- Frank