Author Topic: Long range forecast  (Read 254 times)

Jeff A

• View Profile
Long range forecast
« on: June 13, 2017, 07:31:15 AM »
This weekend and early next week look good for SSW wind at the coast thanks to big Bermuda high forming over ocean and low over mainland.  These features are pretty far north of us but should still influence our weather.  Will update later in the week.

Ken

• View Profile
Re: Long range forecast
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:52:22 AM »
Good potential and I am interested in getting in the water.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »
Looks like Jeff and Jan will be in the Hatteras/Avon area for Sun. and Mon.  I heard that Sam is going too and will stay at the Avon Motel.  I also have a reservation at the Avon motel for Sunday night with two queen beds.   

Anyone interested in sharing my room is welcome (room is $120+ tax). 

emullett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 03:29:48 PM »
Ken, I am interested.   Eric

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 08:49:40 PM »
Eric,

Give me a call or text.  919 780 3877

Jeff A

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 09:36:57 PM »
Updated forecast: Looks like Sat afternoon late there might be a thermal at the coast with S wind. That direction usually best in northern OBX.  Then it turns more SSW on Sun and a Bermuda high sets up that stays anchored offshore the rest of next week.  What this means is extended period of SSW or SW wind likely almost every afternoon until a cold front pushes the high out further to sea.  A Bermuda high waxes and wanes and many times hard to predict which days will be best.  Right now late Sun and Mon look good, rest too far out to really tell. Id say try to get there this next week because the solar heating is near max and ocean water still not maxed so thermal should be strong. June is usually a great month at the coast.

Jeff A

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »
Forecast for OBX is stellar, should start today (in fact already S 15 at Cape Lookout and Nags head), so will likely exceed forecast this afternoon. Then it turns SSW from Sun to Wed with 20 knots nearly every afternoon.  Get there!

BR58

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 03:41:55 PM »
It's blowing 20 to 25 all along the outer banks at 3:40 pm (Saturday )

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 11:11:28 AM »
Well, we (Jeff, Jan, Eric, Sam, Vince and I) had a great two days in the Salvo/Avon area.  Winds generally in the 20-30 mph range.  I was on my 5.2 Sunday and pooped out as the wind built to 4.5 range.  On Monday, I was on my 4.5 the entire time, but the wind seemed to be more gusty than on Sunday, with an occasional slog.

While I don't have the stamina that the younger guys have, I did manage to cover 52 miles over the two days, hitting top speeds of 31.8 on Sun. and 31.2 on Mon.  Sam and I only windsurfed, while the others both kited and sailed.  Great weather, but muggy.

While I took the more conservative route, the other guys sailed from the Gull Island launch out to the "reef", looking for some waves, but it took some extended walking over shallows to get there (so they said).