Author Topic: VA Beach might have wind tomorrow  (Read 50 times)

Jeff A

• View Profile
VA Beach might have wind tomorrow
« on: May 19, 2017, 07:57:03 AM »
Looks like good chance for NE wind at VA Beach tomorrow thanks to a cold front crossing tonight or tomorrow morning.  The cold front won't hit NC till mid-late afternoon and then stalls near SC so will only be good for late day wind in the northern OBX.  Bill and I considering going to First Landing State Park in VA Beach, NE is side to side on and gets nice 3-4 foot rollers. Post if you are interested.

PS the travel time from the Triangle is similar to Hatteras ~3:30

Ken

• View Profile
Re: VA Beach might have wind tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 03:11:07 PM »
It's been blowing 20-30 the last couple hours. If Jeff is there it's going to be a big day with big swells.

Jeff A

• View Profile
Re: VA Beach might have wind tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 11:48:54 PM »
Yea Ken,

Bill and I got there at 11:30 and the front had just gone through, temp dropping and wind coming up. Water was warm around 70, wind looked like solid 15-25 or so I rigged 5.2 on my 93L and Bill 5.7 on 100L.  Really fun waves at first around noon, probably low tide or just after low.  Small shore break but once out, sets of meaty 5 foot rolling swell coming in making for fun jumping and jibing.  I soon came in to get the 84L which was perfect and after a while on that I thought I could use the 4.7, so rigged that and ate some late lunch.  Went back and the 4.7 only planing going out, coming in I was slogging and had to ride a wave downwind to get planning.  Classic tidal effect incoming tide was pushing us down wind.  Also the waves subsided and it got choppier.  SO after that I went back to the 5.2 but not much better.  Wind had dropped a bit and tide stronger.  SO from what I can tell after sailing there a few times in NE: In strong outgoing and incoming tide it gets choppy and funky but around slack tide it can be really fun.  Water state like Cedar Island, but more sideshore and deeper so no battling with sandbars and whitewater hitting you sideways. Cedar has a cleaner, generally bigger wave by the jetty but if wind is more NE than N its really difficult to get out and do much. First landing much easier to get out and play in the waves but around max tide, it gets choppy and tidal current sucks power if going with wind.