Author Topic: A couple Dads want to break back into the sport. We'll take your stuff!  (Read 1120 times)

Southpaw

• View Profile
Hi all,

Just joined up and want to get windsurfing again with another Dad in the neighborhood, but alas, my old gear is about 3000 miles away.  From time to time I've seen 'free to a good home' stuff pop up on here and just wanted to put my name in to save someone the trouble.  We're BOTH trying to get some beginner-intermediate gear so we can join in the fun, but we're also on a tight budget.

I did a fair amount of longboard stuff on my Mistral Superlight years ago (I'm about 195lbs). My buddy is more new to the sport but has learned fast (about 165lbs.) 

I'll keep perusing Craigslist and ebay locally, but we'd sure appreciate any connections, ideas or referrals you could send our way.

Many thanks, and I hope we can see you out there soon!

Dan
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:30:54 PM by Southpaw »

bank5

• View Profile
Re: A couple Dads want to break back into the sport. We'll take your stuff!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 10:02:02 AM »

Can you ship your gear for a couple hundred bucks? 

It will be tough to find a complete workable rig for free, especially if you want to go out on the water anytime soon.  The stuff will likely be finicky and a pain to deal with -- a board that I checked out recently for $125 had a bunch of problems and would have been a big hassle to deal with.  But someone was kind enough to recently give me a board for free so if you stay patient and check frequently some stuff might pop up.

I still think though shipping your stuff is probably the best best.  If you ship it to a business address it'll likely save you some $. 

Tom_P

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 10:53:03 AM »
If you join the club you can check out some beginner's gear.  That should keep you going until you find something to own.
Long Board, Short Car

nitro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 11:46:40 AM »
Don't take this advice too personally (you already have a background in windsurfing), but I often see new people getting into, or back into the sport, who just refuse to spend any money to get appropriate gear.  When I see this, I like to pass on this quote from a long-time windsurfing instructor (and guy who really wants to see people thrive in this sport):

This sport has a terrible reputation for being difficult to learn and a L O N G learning curve just to get to enter the intermediate stage -- harness and footstraps on a plane -- but much of that rep is due to a culture that believe no money should ever be spent on this sport and no equipment should ever be retired. It's pretty amazing. No other sport seems to have this problem. I've yet to come across a friend on the first tee trying to play golf with hickory shafts that, yes, Ben Hogan won the US Open with and, yes, my grandfather learned to play golf quite well on -- and there are tons of those clubs at yard sales, but we all seem to understand they are sold as antique collector items, not to actually use!! But, lord have mercy, in windsurfing I get calls constantly from people who have just bought -- yes, paid money -- for a one-piece aluminum mass with tie-on booms and mast base/extension device i can't even describe here. And the sail weighs more than the board! (And, although, no one around here would never do it, it's disturbing it is experienced windsurfers who sold this stuff to a beginner, because, after all, "didn't I once break 90 with hickory shafts way back in the day when I learned the game . It can be done. You can too!")
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:49:06 AM by nitro »

Southpaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 04:06:07 PM »

It will be tough to find a complete workable rig for free, especially if you want to go out on the water anytime soon.  The stuff will likely be finicky and a pain to deal with -- a board that I checked out recently for $125 had a bunch of problems and would have been a big hassle to deal with.  But someone was kind enough to recently give me a board for free so if you stay patient and check frequently some stuff might pop up.

I still think though shipping your stuff is probably the best best.  If you ship it to a business address it'll likely save you some $.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I haven't quite dug deep into the shipping option as it's coming from Seattle. I just can't imagine it costing less than several hundred bucks.  And yes, there is a threshold of junkiness that I don't wish to dip below (and a lot of the free stuff can do that).

Southpaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 04:25:09 PM »
Don't take this advice too personally (you already have a background in windsurfing), but I often see new people getting into, or back into the sport, who just refuse to spend any money to get appropriate gear.  When I see this, I like to pass on this quote from a long-time windsurfing instructor (and guy who really wants to see people thrive in this sport):

This sport has a terrible reputation for being difficult to learn and a L O N G learning curve just to get to enter the intermediate stage -- harness and footstraps on a plane -- but much of that rep is due to a culture that believe no money should ever be spent on this sport and no equipment should ever be retired. It's pretty amazing. No other sport seems to have this problem. I've yet to come across a friend on the first tee trying to play golf with hickory shafts that, yes, Ben Hogan won the US Open with and, yes, my grandfather learned to play golf quite well on -- and there are tons of those clubs at yard sales, but we all seem to understand they are sold as antique collector items, not to actually use!! But, lord have mercy, in windsurfing I get calls constantly from people who have just bought -- yes, paid money -- for a one-piece aluminum mass with tie-on booms and mast base/extension device i can't even describe here. And the sail weighs more than the board! (And, although, no one around here would never do it, it's disturbing it is experienced windsurfers who sold this stuff to a beginner, because, after all, "didn't I once break 90 with hickory shafts way back in the day when I learned the game . It can be done. You can too!")

No offense taken! I largely agree with the sentiment.  Be they free, or even in the $200-$300 range,  I know both of us would gladly move beyond these 'starter' boards once we know we'll be able to carve out the time to go frequently enough.  Since we've both had some experience, we wouldn't be deterred by the learning curve of the narrower older boards.    Also, starting at or just above where I left off (technology-wise), gives me an opportunity to see what direction I want to go with the sport.  Will I still enjoy the longboard experience, or will I yearn for more shorter board, high-wind stuff?  Having a more modest investment gives me some flexibility to change course.   Thanks for your thoughts.

Dan

ps. I love my hickory driver.

Southpaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 04:27:25 PM »

Thanks Bank! I'll see just how much it'll cost.  If you see an old Superlight circa 1984 on the lake this fall, you'll know I pulled it off! :-)

bank5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 10:04:25 PM »

Thanks Bank! I'll see just how much it'll cost.  If you see an old Superlight circa 1984 on the lake this fall, you'll know I pulled it off! :-)
I hear ya about not wanting to spend a lot of $ on shipping gear that old, especially from Seattle.  A windsurf shop from Florida was going to ship a longboard to me for $150 to my house, $75 to a business so that's not as much as I would have thought.

wsatl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 11:32:15 PM »

This. Plus down our way I see people buying old gear and they aren't buying fun, they are buying frustration. There are very few beginner boards like the old days - boards you bought to use for 6 months and then sold because they were dogs in real conditions and thank heavens for that. Starting with the Starboard Go, there are all sorts of boards that are beginner friendly and by using a longer fin and moving the straps perform quite admirably. Starboard Gos, big Carves, larger JPs, Bics, etc are all very accessible because of their width and volume yet are a blast to use on a breezy day for someone who's windsurfed for years.

You may have to drive or have something shipped to you because they are rare in the SE but they do pop up from time to time.

One of my favorite boards in the stable is a *board Freeformula 156 which rips with an 8.0 and a 50cm fin. It's just a wooden construction Go from it's era, circa 2004. Someone who's barely windsurfed (and not too big) can easily take this board out and use it (82cm wide). 

This goes for sails. You can collect a bunch of cammed sails from 1995 and assemble some sort of quiver which is temperamental and limited in range. Or, you can find 2 modern Ezzys, a 7.5 and 6.0 that will cover you up to and over 30 mph.

I know it's tempting to think it can be done on the cheap. In all honesty, it can but you are making it much harder on yourself than it needs to be. And, if you decide it really wasn't for you, this stuff actually has resale value  :D

Good luck and welcome back.

Southpaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 04:53:49 PM »
This. Plus down our way I see people buying old gear and they aren't buying fun, they are buying frustration. There are very few beginner boards like the old days - boards you bought to use for 6 months and then sold because they were dogs in real conditions and thank heavens for that. Starting with the Starboard Go, there are all sorts of boards that are beginner friendly and by using a longer fin and moving the straps perform quite admirably. Starboard Gos, big Carves, larger JPs, Bics, etc are all very accessible because of their width and volume yet are a blast to use on a breezy day for someone who's windsurfed for years.

You may have to drive or have something shipped to you because they are rare in the SE but they do pop up from time to time.

One of my favorite boards in the stable is a *board Freeformula 156 which rips with an 8.0 and a 50cm fin. It's just a wooden construction Go from it's era, circa 2004. Someone who's barely windsurfed (and not too big) can easily take this board out and use it (82cm wide).

This goes for sails. You can collect a bunch of cammed sails from 1995 and assemble some sort of quiver which is temperamental and limited in range. Or, you can find 2 modern Ezzys, a 7.5 and 6.0 that will cover you up to and over 30 mph.

I know it's tempting to think it can be done on the cheap. In all honesty, it can but you are making it much harder on yourself than it needs to be. And, if you decide it really wasn't for you, this stuff actually has resale value  :D

Good luck and welcome back.
Thanks

Thanks for the input. Good points.  The recommendations are especially appreciated.  The brands I grew up with aren't out there much anymore.  I'll gladly take other recs from other members.  It might take some extra time to gather up the funds, but I suppose we could always meet up with y'all and borrow some beginner stuff in the interim.
-Dan

wind_whiner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 09:27:17 PM »
Isn't this thread just shouting out for a fall Swap Meet?!!
w.w.

ernie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 11:28:35 PM »
I have a 5.7 North Rave sail and 145 liter Seatrend Allstar 70 for sale. Let me know if you want to see them and I'll send you some pictures. ernie915 at gmail  8)

Michelle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 05:19:11 PM »
I also just posted a bunch of rigs for sail including relatively new booms, 2 piece reduced diameter masts and all the parts and pieces.  The boards aren't beginner, but the Taboo 3s is a great intermediate board. I love it, but am getting out of windsurfing.

I agree with the person who stated...use the club beginnner gear to get going.  That's what it is there for and then once you advance beyond the basics you can get some descent gear you like.